Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Visiting some very important People


            We packed up our suitcases and loaded the bus. This was our last day in Chiba Prefecture. We had a few stops left to make before heading back to Tokyo.

Makuhari Messe

            We started the day by visiting the Makuhari Messe International Convention Center. It is the second largest convention center in Japan. The facility was huge and the design was very modern. The main exhibition hall is split into eight parts. Depending on the size of the event the walls between the conference center can be taken down to make the space larger. One space was huge. It could probably fit two great big airplanes. We also learned that to rent one space for 24 hours it would cost 2,000,000 yen or 20,000 American dollars. The whole area is really huge. They’ve had everything from concerts to conventions there. While we were visiting there was a convention presenting science research.

Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line

            Next we visited the Tokyo Bay Aqua-line. This giant bridge and tunnel connect Chiba to Tokyo. Before the bridge was built it would take an hour and a half to get from Chiba to Tokyo. After it was built it only takes 30 minutes. There is a giant bridge over the water and an underwater tunnel. At the middle of the bridge there is a museum and a spot to get out and view the Aqua-line. You can walk around and take pictures or there are some shops and restaurants. Liz and I got frozen yogurt at one of the little shops. It was so good! I had this amazing kiwi flavored yogurt.

Frozen Yogurt

            After this short side trip we went to the most important session of the day. We arrived at the Chiba Prefectural Government Office. I was surprised to see a bunch of people that I had worked with selling sausages the other day. They were all in very fancy suits. Many of them worked as subordinates of the Governor. It was so funny because at the International Flea Market I was speaking to them very casually and as if they were good friends because I didn’t realize how important they were. They were super happy to see me. One lady had printed off pictures of us at the Flea Market and gave them to me.

The Governor of Chiba

            At the office the first thing that happened was the CWA (Chiba-Wisconsin Association) president gave a speech. I was happy to see Mori-San, part of the steering committee there. He was at the Flea Market event as well. I also saw the government official that I had spent much of my day at the International Flea Market with. I had walked with him to the Chiba-Wisconsin sister-state monument the other day and we talked so much. It was weird to see him so dressed up. He was happy to see me there and we got to talk a little bit again. I felt so proud and special because I knew so many important people. Now I think I understand the meaning of “networking”.
            Next the Governor of Chiba, Kensaku Morita, gave a speech and welcomed us. He was a really friendly and funny guy. He started his career as an actor and singer then later in life pursued politics. His chat was very short because he is a very busy guy. This made me realize once again how lucky I am to be on this program. I didn’t realize how important the Chiba-Wisconsin bond was. We were specifically selected because of this.

Me sitting in the Chairman's Chair

            Afterwards we watched a video about Chiba and then toured the government building. We visited the crisis center, which had a bunch of cool TV’s that showed video of the city. We also visited the official chambers of the government where representatives would sit during their meeting. In all, the visit was very flattering. Not many people are invited to the government building.
            After finishing our visit we drove back to Tokyo. Liz and I wanted to visit a Cat café. It’s a place where you go to have tea/coffee and play with cats that they have there. My roommate You and another girl came along. Our professors helped us figure out the metro. It was so busy. We found our way to the café only to find out that it was closed.
            Tomorrow sounds like it will be a very busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment