Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finding our sister-state at the Makuchari flea market


            My face is sunburnt and I’m very tired. It truly has been a great day in Japan today. Instead of doing something touristy, we got the chance to really interact with Japanese people. We went to Kanda University of International Studies to help out the students with their flea market for charity.

Makuchari Flea Market

            The market is called “Makuchari” which comes from Makuhari Charity Flea market. It is modeled after the charity shop in the UK called Oxfam. When we arrived we were split up in different groups. Some would be helping out with fashion, others selling dishes, others selling trinkets, etc. I was put in the “Festa” group.  There were only six of us put into the group and right away we were split up. I stayed with one guy from the group named Arden.

Our hot dog selling group

            We were brought to a booth full of Japanese adults. They quickly started explaining what we would be doing. Ardin and I just stared because we didn’t understand any of the Japanese. We found out that they didn’t know any English. A little later someone came and explained it to us. We would be selling Johnsonville Brats because of the sister state relationship between Chiba Prefecture and Wisconsin.
            In 1990 Governor of Wisconsin, Tommy Thompson, and Governor of Chiba, Takeshi Numata, signed a sister-state agreement. They created a business, cultural, and educational partnership. In order to create friendships they offer exchanges of all types that include: culture, education, science, and economy. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe this may have influenced the Japan Foundation in choosing Wisconsin as a participant in the program that I am on.
            In the past year Wisconsin has also brought over members in exchange. They brought over a cultural group, a biomass group, and a Women of Wings group. The culture group performed traditional taiko drumming at the Middleton Public library. They also learned about Wisconsin’s culture. The biomass group presented research. The Women of Wing’s group sent over delegates. This group shows how women in both Japan and Wisconsin have similarities in their issues, struggles, and career goals.

The group by the sister-state monument


The monument made of limestone

            Today I met and worked with the head of the steering committee of the organization, Shigeo Moriyama. I also spent a lot of time talking to one of the Chiba government officials. He took us for a walk and we went to where there was a monument in respect to the Chiba-Wisconsin sister state agreement.
            I really felt lucky to have been put in this group because I learned so much. It also made me feel really special to be from Wisconsin. They excitedly told me about the time they visited Madison and how pretty the lakes in Wisconsin are. One man boasted that he had been to Wisconsin five times.

Arden and I promoting our Brat booth

            They gave me a garment to wear called a Happi. It is a traditional jacket with a crest on the back. The crest was of the Chiba-Wisconsin association. My job of the day was to stand outside the booth and get people to come by to learn about the association and to buy a hotdog. Arden and I didn’t know much Japanese so we weren’t really helpful in explaining what the organization was. The most I could say was “Wisconsin kara kimashita,” which means, “I am from Wisconsin” and “konnichiwa, sausage!”  Luckily, people thought I looked cute wearing the Happi and I was even complimented on the way I said “konnichiwa.” Because of this and many other reasons we sold out. All 200 brats were gone.

The crest on my Happi

            The reason the day was so fun was because I got to meet so many people in such a real environment. I met some students from the University. I even met a guy that studied abroad in Stevens Point! I also go to walk around and see what kinds of things people were selling. Mostly it was cool to see all the university students working together.
            Tomorrow we visit Chiba University for lectures and a tour. Hopefully we get more interaction with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment