Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The In-Between: 14 hour layover in Taiwan


            It was hard to say goodbye to the Philippines but it was time for me to go. I had seen so much and done so much. Getting out of the country was a lot more difficult than I thought.
            I arrived at the airport and handed the man my itinerary sheet and passport and awaited my boarding pass for my flight. He asked for proof that I was eventually going back to the U.S and for some sort of card. I had neither. The guy was young; maybe 24 or 25 and he didn’t know what to do in this situation. He called his manager over, and he took my passport with him. During this time the young guy at the counter started making awkward conversation with me. He told me my name was pretty, but really long. He promised that everything would get figured out so I could go. I don’t know how he could promise that; but eventually the manager came back and approved giving me boarding passes so I could go.
            I thought everything was good but then I went to the next area. I knew you had to pay an airport fee but I thought it was only 450 pesos. I had 500 pesos leftover and a bunch of change. I thought I would be fine. To my surprise it really costs 550 pesos to get through. I counted my change and found that I had 509 pesos. I also had four American dollars in my purse. I went up to the person at the counter and offered them my pesos and American dollars in hope that they would be accepted. Luckily I was able to pass and given back 3 of the American dollars.
            I was so excited that I finally made it through all the security and get to my gate. There was one thing standing between me and the gate areas. One guard was waiting and you had to show him your passport. I showed it to him, he let me by, and as I was walking away he started hitting on me. He asked for my name and cat called a bit. I ignored him, made it to my gate, and was out of here.
            I thought the plane would be better; it was only a short 2-hour flight. I found my seat and got comfy. I thought it was strange that no one was in the window seat or the middle seat. Then at the very last minute a man came up to me. He had a very rough and angry sounding accent, probably Eastern European. He told me I was sitting in his seat. I showed him my ticket and told him that I was in the right spot. I looked at his and showed him that his ticket was for the window seat. He got very uncomfortable and grumbled about how he always asks the airplane company for an aisle seat. He got up to use the bathroom before the flight started and I scooted to the window seat; he was surprised and happy when he came back. Later during the flight I saw him clutching different parts of the seat. He was scared of flying. I’m really glad I switched spots with him because he probably would’ve been way more scared if he had to sit by the window.
            Finally I was in Taiwan. I had a 14-hour layover, which meant that my flight to Japan didn’t leave until the next morning. I contemplated leaving the airport and exploring Taipei but I decided against it. It was already dark, I didn’t want to have to exchange money, and I didn’t do any research about where to go and what to see. My airline had a specific lobby area for overnight transfers so I hung out there. It was a really nice area with couches, a shower, and a place to charge things. I had taken a blanket from the last airplane and got comfy. Time went by pretty quickly because I started watching some Game of Thrones and then slept. It wasn’t bad at all. After a long day of travel I was ready for Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment